Monday, June 9, 2014
The parish of Kimbolton, of which the area is 5,140 acres, including 17 acres of inland water, comprises the town or village of Kimbolton and the hamlets of Stonely, to the east, and Wornditch, ½ mile to the west
The parish of Kimbolton, of which the area is 5,140 acres, including 17 acres of inland water, comprises the town or village of Kimbolton and the hamlets of Stonely, to the east, and Wornditch, ½ mile to the west. Newtown in the north and Over Stow, adjoining Long Stow, also represent old hamlets; while the site of the 14th-century district of Werkwell (Wertwell, Qwertwell) is now unknown.
Kimbolton stands on the Bedfordshire border and the jurisdiction of its lords has always extended into that county. It gave its name to a hundred in 1086. (fn. 2)
There were a church and a priest at Kimbolton in 1086, (fn. 163) and the patronage passed with the manor until Humphrey de Bohun granted it to Stonely Priory in 1366. (fn. 164) In 1219 G. de Bocland, the rector, appointed William perpetual vicar, with the consent of William de Mandeville, the patron, saving to Bermondsey Priory two parts of the small tithes of the demesnes of the castle. (fn. 165) The two parts of the small tithes are said to have been given to Bermondsey by Odo Dammartin and confirmed by William de Say (fn. 166) (1161–77), and were acquired from Bermondsey Priory by Stonely Priory in 1386 for a perpetual rent of 6s. 8d. (fn. 167) In 1378 Stonely Priory appropriated the rectory, and a vicarage was ordained by John Bukingham, Bishop of Lincoln (1363–98), by authority of Pope Gregory XI (1370–8). Pope Urban VI (1378–89) having revoked all appropriations, Pope Boniface IX (1389–1404) confirmed the appropriation of Kimbolton church in 1397. From 1378 the church had been served by canons of Stonely Priory, a practice which the Pope confirmed. (fn. 168) The advowson remained with the Priory of Stonely until the Dissolution (fn. 169) in 1535.
In 1545 the rectory and advowson were granted to Robert Springe and Thomas, his son. (fn. 170) In 1559 William Smyth and others had licence to alienate the rectory, (fn. 171) and in 1580 he and Humphrey Michell sold the rectory and advowson of the vicarage to William (second son of Sylvester Bedell of Hamerton), (fn. 172) lord of Molesworth (q.v.). William Bedell and the vicar, Edward Robinson, had a dispute as to the payment of small tithes, which the parishioners claimed had been commuted by the gift of a close of pasture containing about 10 acres, given to the vicars by two sisters called Passells in lieu of all such tithes. (fn. 173) William Bedell sold the rectory and advowson in 1612 to Benjamin Browne and Francis Bedell (one of his younger sons). (fn. 174) Sir James Wingfield and Francis Bodenham conveyed half the rectory and advowson of the vicarage in 1615 to Sir Henry Montagu. (fn. 175) In 1637 Henry, Earl of Manchester, presented, and from 1655 the rectory and advowson of the vicarage were in the possession of the Earls and Dukes of Manchester, (fn. 176) who have ever since been patrons. (fn. 177)
In 1240 Richard de Bercham, chaplain, was presented by the Earl of Hereford to the chapel of Kimbolton and instituted as rector without cure of souls. This chapel paid the mother church of Kimbolton 6 lbs. of wax annually and had no land in the parish, but 61 acres in neighbouring parishes. (fn. 178) John de Byllyng, chaplain, is mentioned in 1344. (fn. 179)
A chapel of St. Mary at Stonely is mentioned in 1582, (fn. 180) and there was apparently a chapel at Wornditch. There was a fraternity of Jesus in the parish to which bequests were made in the 15th and 16th century wills. (fn. 181)
Miss Anne Maria Harriett Welstead, by will proved in the Principal Registry 31 May 1881, gave £100 to the vicar and churchwardens, the income to be distributed in coal to poor widows residing in the parish. This is now represented by a sum of £99 17s. 6d. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock with the Official Trustees, and the income is distributed in coal to poor widows of the parish.
John Day, by will proved 29 Oct. 1836, gave to the vicar and churchwardens a sum of money for the benefit of poor communicants which is now represented by a sum of £99 0s. 2d. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stock with the Official Trustees. The income is distributed in money to poor communicants.
John Cannon, by will proved 19 Jan. 1782, gave £50 to the vicar, churchwardens and overseers, the income to be expended in paying a sum of 10s. to the vicar for preaching a sermon every year and the remainder to be distributed in bread to the poor. The endowment now consists of £17 16s. 3d. 2½ per cent. Consolidated Stockwith the Official Trustees, and the income is paid to the vicar for preaching a sermon. The trustees are the vicar, churchwardens and two persons appointed by the parish council in place of the overseers.
Thomas Spackman, by will dated 8 March 1782, gave a yearly rent-charge of 20s. issuing out of a close in Stonely called Glovers Close, to be applied for the benefit of the poor of the parish. This charge is regularly paid and distributed by the vicar and two others to the poor in money.
William Coleman, by will dated in 1717, gave out of his dwelling house in Back Street, Kimbolton, 10s. a year to be distributed among poor widows of the parish and 10s. a year for a sermon to be preached on St. Thomas's Day. The charge of 20s. a year is regularly paid and applied in accordance with the will of the donor.
William Desbrowe, by will in 1716, gave a close of land containing 1 acre 2 roods in the Butts in Kimbolton, the rents to be distributed amongst the poor of the parish by the minister and churchwardens. The land is now let and the rent, after deduction of land tax, is distributed to the poor of the parish.
Parish Clerk's Fund.—The endowment of this charity consisted of a piece of land known as Parish Clerk Land in the parish of Kimbolton containing 1 acre 1 rood 18 poles, allotted under the Wornditch Inclosure Award, dated 8 Nov. 1799, for the benefit of the parish clerk. The land was sold in 1921 under the authority of an order of the Charity Commissioners and the proceeds invested in the purchase of £30 4s. 1d. War Stock in the name of the Official Trustees. The income is paid to the parish clerk.
Charities of Anne Countess Dowager of Manchester and others.—By indentures of lease and release, dated Feb. 1699, Henry Bull (in consideration of £91, being the charitable gifts given to the poor of Kimbolton by the persons after named: By Anne, Countess Dowager of Manchester in 1698, £40; by the Hon. Eleanor Montagu, daughter of the said Anne, in 1695, £50; and by Jeremiah Burton, £1) granted a close called Bull's Close containing 3 acres, in trust for the use, relief and maintenance or support of the poor. The endowment now consists of £284 12s. 1d. Consols, the dividends on which are distributed in bread to the poor.
Charities of Lady Elizabeth and Lady Doddington Montagu.—Lady Elizabeth Montagu in 1735 left £12 10s. the interest to be given in bread to the poor, and Lady Doddington Montagu in 1774 left 30 guineas for the poor. These two sums are now represented by £17 16s. 3d. Consols with the Official Trustees and the income is distributed with the charities of Anne, Countess Dowager of Manchester, and others in bread to the poor.
William Ashton in 1722 bequeathed £50 for the purchase of lands, the rents to be applied to the benefit of 12 poor people of the parish in bread. This sum was laid out in the purchase of land at Stonely containing 1 acre 2 roods. The land is now let, and the rent is distributed with the charities of Anne Countess Dowager of Manchester and others in bread to the poor.
Loving's Dole.—Thomas Loving in 1557 gave out of his close at Newtown to the poor of the parish 6s. 8d. a year to be distributed among them by the churchwardens yearly on St. Thomas's Day. This annual sum is regularly paid and laid out in the purchase of 40 twopenny loaves which are distributed among as many poor persons on St. Thomas's Day.
Allen's Gift.—William Allen in 1630 gave out of a house in Kimbolton called the Sun Inn 30s. per annum to be distributed among 20 of the poorest people of the parish. This annuity is now paid by Mrs. E. L. Welstead in respect of her house in Kimbolton, formerly the Sun Inn, and distributed in money to the poor.
Nicholas Bull gave in 1608, out of his close at Stonely, to the poor people inhabiting the Almshouse in Kimbolton, a yearly sum of 6s. 8d. to be distributed amongst them. He also gave, out of his lands at Offord D'Arcy, 26s. 8d. yearly to the poor of Stonely, 10s. yearly to the poor of Kimbolton and 3s. 4d. yearly to the chief inhabitants of Stonely for distributing the money. The annual payments, amounting to £2, are paid by the owners of the lands charged, and distributed to the poor in money, and the charge of 6s. 8d. is now paid by the Duke of Manchester and distributed among the inmates of the almshouses.
Peacock's Gift.—William Peacock by his will bequeathed a sum of £50 for the benefit of the inmates of the almshouse. The sum is now represented by £17 16s. 3d. Consols with the Official Trustees and the income is distributed to the inmates of the almshouses.
Love's Charity.—William Love in 1699 gave £10 to the poor of the parish which is reputed to have been laid out in the purchase of a piece of copyhold land, about ½ acre in the parish of Long Stow. This land was surrendered in 1816 and another parcel purchased in the parish of Kimbolton. The land has since been sold and the proceeds invested in the purchase of £67 8s. 4d. Consols in the name of the Official Trustees. The income is distributed to the poor inmates of the almshouses.
Thomas Day in 1857 left £100 for investment, the interest to be divided amongst 15 poor old men over 60 years of age on St. Thomas's Day. This sum is now represented by £100 Consols, the dividends on which are distributed in accordance with the will of the donor.
The Dowager Duchess of Manchester, about the year 1837, left a close at Stonely, the rent of which was to be applied to benefit the poor in the matter of clothing. The land is now let for about £6 per annum which is paid into the Kimbolton Clothing Club.