Saturday, March 29, 2014
Duchess of manchester trust shall not exceed four trustees.
have been blended and for the purposes aforesaid may ascertain and fix the value of the respective parts of the said investments and every such decision allotment apportionment setting apart and valuation shall be as binding upon all persons then or thereafter to be interested in the premises as if the same had been duly made by a court of Competent Jurisdiction.
29. I declare that the number of General Trustees of this my Will shall never be less than two nor exceed four.
30. I declare that any trustee or executor of this my Will may in the conductof the trust business instead of acting personally employ and pay an agent whether being a Solicitor or any other person to transact all business and do all acts required to be done in the trusts including the receipt and payment ofmoney and that any trustee or executor being a Solicitor or other person engaged in any profession or business shall be entitled to be paid all usual professional charges for business transacted acts done and time expended by him or any
150 partner of his in connection with the trusts hereof including acts which a trustee or executor not being in any profession or business could have done personally.
In Witness whereof I have to this my last Will and Testament contained in this and the twenty preceding sheets of paper set my hand this Seventh day ofJanuary, One thousand nine hundred and
* * *
Diamond tiara diamond dog collar necklace with pendant of diamonds pear-shaped diamond and emerald pendant with jewel drop five yards of
Will and Codicil of Consuelo, Dowager Duchess of 151 Manchester
finest Brussels lace flounce shawl to match three yards of old Flemish point lace flounce sahle hoa and sable muff. All the laces and furs which I may be possessed of at my death whether attached to a gown or cloak or any other article of clothing or not. Portrait of my mother Portrait of General Boyd by Gilbert Stewart Portrait of my daughters by Hughes. Two busts of my daughters one by Waldo Story the other by Fuchs Portrait of me by Richmond Pen and Ink Sketch by the Prince Imperial.
SCHEDULE II. Pair of solitaire diamond earings Pair of pearl and diamond earings Chain with ruby and diamond pendants Diamond and sapphire bracelet Diamond and ruby bracelet.
Signed by the said Consuelo
Dowager, Duchess of Man-
chester, the Testatrix in the
presence of us wbo in her
presence at her request, and
in the presence of each other,
all being present at the same
time, have hereunto sub-
scribed our names as .wit-
nesses; the Clauses on pages
1 and 12 having been first
struck out at the request of
E. L. Rowcliffe,
1, Bedford Row,
Clerk to Messrs. Rawle, Johnstone & Co.,
1, Bedford Row, London,
154 Will and Codicil of Consuelo, Dowager Duchess of
I, Consuelo Dowager Duchess of Manchester Declare this to be a Codicil to my Will which Will bears date the 7th day of January 1909
1. Whereas by paragraph 1 of my said Will I appointed the Right Honourable Sir Ernest Cassel P.C. K.C.M.G. K.C.V.O. and Thomas Rawle general executors and trustees thereof Now I hereby revoke such appointment and in lieu thereof I appoint Edward Viscount Duncannon C.V.O C.B and the said Thomas Rawle to be the General Executors and Trustees of my said Will and the Codicils thereto And I declare that my said Will and Codicils shall be construed and read as if the names Edward Viscount Duncannon and Thomas Rawle had been inserted therein in the place of the names of the said Sir Ernest Cassel and the said Thomas Rawle
156 2. I Bequeath free of all duties to Her Majesty Queen Alexandra my ruby and diamond bracelet which I would ask her to be graciously pleased to accept as a token of my respectful affection and regard for Her Majesty
3. Whereas by paragraph 4 of my said Will I gave and bequeathed certain legacies free of all duties and deductions and the same with any duties thereon were to be paid out of my personal estate amongst such legacies being the following To my cousin Maria Marquesa d'Argudin daughter of my late cousin Julia de Valle £2,000 To the issue living at my death of my late cousin Modesto Yznaga £1,000 and if more than one in equal shares To
^Yill and Codicil of Conxnclo, Dowager Duchess of 157 Manchester
my housekeeper Amelia Rawlings £100 To nurse Margaret Dingwall £100 Now I hereby revoke the above-mentioned legacies
Whereas by paragraph 4 of my said AVill I gave and bequeathed to each indoor servant of mine (other than the three servants in such paragraph particularly named) who should be in my service at my death and should have been not less than two years in such service a sum equal to one year's 158 wages in addition to any wages owing to them respectively at my death Now I hereby revoke such legacy of one year's wages so far and so far only as regards my footman Henry Kempster and in lieu thereof I give and bequeath to the said Henry Kempster the sum of £150 free of duty such sum of £150 to be in addition to any wages that may be owing to him at the date of my death.
I Give And Bequeath the following legacies free from all duties and deductions and the same with any duties payable thereon are to be paid out ofmy personal estate namely: To my said cousin 159 Maria Marquesa d'Argudin £100 To Leonora Yznaga daughter of my late cousin Modesto Yznaga £100 and to Cousnelo Alvarez daughter of my cousin Maria Alvarez £100.
4. WllEttEAK by paragraph 12 of my said Will I have directed that out of the trust funds and property to be held by my American Trustees they shall set apart sufficient investments at their discretion to produce the five annuities therein mentioned Now I hereby direct that they shall set apart sufficient further investments at their discretion to produce a sum of £20 a year and shall160 Will and Codicil of Consuelo, Dowager Duchess of
pay such yearly sum to my said housekeeper Amelie Rawlings whether in my service at the time of my death or not during her life free of duty without power of anticipation And also set apart sufficient further investments at the like discretion to produce the sum of £30 a year and shall pay such yearly sum to the said Margaret Dingwall whether in my service at the time of my death or not during her life free of duty without power of anticipation jgl And shall also set apart sufficient further investments at the like discretion to produce a sum of £24 a year and shall pay such yearly sum to Mrs. Anna Dupuy of New York United States of America during her life free of duty without power ofanticipation.
And I Hereby Also Direct my American Trustees that they shall set apart sufficient investments at the like discretion to produce a sum of £30 a year and shall pay and apply such yearly sum of £30 in such manner and from time to time and at such time or times as my American Trustees shall 162 in their absolute and uncontrolled discretion think fit for the purpose of the proper and efficient maintenance and preservation of the graves of my father and mother and brother. And I declare that my American Trustees may as they shall in their absolute and uncontrolled discretion think fit transfer the investments so set apart to produce such last-mentioned yearly sum of £30 to any persons company corporation or undertaking which my American Trustees may select making such arrangements conditions and terms with such persons company corporation or undertaking as to my American Trustees shall seem best for the purposes of the proper and efficient maintenance and preser