House of Montagu
Sir Edward Montagu (c. 1485-1557), Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas.
Son of Thomas Montague of Hemington (d.1516). The parentage of this Thomas is not proved, though a fabulous descent from Simon, stated to have been the brother of John Montagu, 3rd Earl of Salisbury, is generally attributed to him. It is stated (1812) by Sir Egerton Brydges, in Collins, vol. ii, p. 42, "that the late Mr. Thorpe suspected this family to be descended from James Montagu, a natural son of Thomas the [4th and] last Earl of Salisbury".The bordure round the arms of the present family favours the idea. Other sources states that they descended from Richard Montagu alias Ladde, a yeoman or husbandman, living in 1471. He was the father of Sir Edward Montagu of Boughton Castle .
Sir Edward Montagu of Boughton (1530-1601), married Elizabeth Harrington of Exton (1545-1618):
- Edward Montagu, 1st Baron Montagu, ancestor of the Dukes of Montagu.
- Sir Walter Montagu.
- Sir Henry Montagu, 1st Earl of Manchester, ancestor of the Dukes of Manchester.
- Sir Charles Montagu.
- James Montagu, Bishop of Winchester.
- Sir Sidney Montagu, ancestor of the Earls of Sandwich.
Barons Montagu of Boughton, first creation (1621-1749)
Earls of Montagu, (1689-1749)
Dukes of Montagu, First Creation (1705-1749)
- Edward Montagu, (1560–1644) 1st Baron Montagu of Boughton
- Edward Montagu, (1616–1684) 2nd Baron Montagu of Boughton
- Ralph Montagu, (1638–c. 1709) 1st Duke of Montagu, Marquess of Monthermer, 1st Earl of Montagu and Viscount Monthermer (1689), 3rd Baron Montagu of Boughton
- John Montagu, (1690-1749), 2nd Duke of Montagu, KG.
- Isabella Montagu, (1708-1786). Married firstly William Montagu, 2nd Duke of Manchester and secondly Edward Hussey-Montagu, 1st Earl of Beaulieu.
- Mary Montagu (c. 1711-1775). Married George Brudenell, 4th Earl of Cardigan, later Duke of Montagu.
Baron Montagu of Boughton, second creation (1762-1770)
Duke of Montagu, Second Creation (1766-1790)
Barons Montagu of Boughton, third creation (1786-1845)
Baron Beaulieu (1762–1802)
Earls Beaulieu (1784–1802)
- John Montagu, (1735-1770), 1st Baron Montagu of Boughton, Marquess of Monthermer, Lord Brudenell, son of George Brudenell, 4th Earl of Cardigan.
- George Montagu (Brudenell), (1712–1790) 1st Duke of Montagu, Marquess of Monthermer, 4th Earl of Cardigan, Baron Brudenell, KG created 1st Baron Montagu of Boughton, (with a special remainder to the younger sons of his daughter, who had married the 3rd Duke of Buccleuch).
- Henry James Montagu-Scott, (1776–1845) 2nd Baron Montagu of Boughton, grandson of son of George Montagu, 1st Duke of Montagu
- Edward Hussey-Montagu, (1721-1802) 1st Earl Beaulieu, 1st Baron Beaulieu KB.
Earls of Manchester (1626)
Dukes of Manchester (1719)
- Henry Montagu, (c. 1563–1642) 1st Earl of Manchester, Viscount Mandeville, Baron Kimbolton.
- Edward Montagu, (1602–1671) 2nd Earl of Manchester KG.
- Robert Montagu, (1634–1683) 3rd Earl of Manchester
- Charles Montagu, (1656–1722) 1st Duke of Manchester, 4th Earl of Manchester
- William Montagu, (1700–1739) 2nd Duke of Manchester KB.
- Robert Montagu, (1710–1762) 3rd Duke of Manchester
- George Montagu, (1737–1788) 4th Duke of Manchester
- William Montagu, (1771–1843) 5th Duke of Manchester
- George Montagu, (1799–1855) 6th Duke of Manchester
- William Drogo Montagu, (1823–1890) 7th Duke of Manchester
- George Victor Drogo Montagu, (1853–1892) 8th Duke of Manchester
- William Angus Drogo Montagu, (1877–1947) 9th Duke of Manchester
- Alexander George Francis Drogo Montagu, (1902–1977) 10th Duke of Manchester
- Sidney Arthur Robin George Montagu, (1929–1985) 11th Duke of Manchester
- Angus Charles Drogo Montagu, (1938–2002) 12th Duke of Manchester
- Alexander Charles David Drogo Montagu, (b. 1962) 13th Duke of Manchester
Barons Halifax (1700-1771)
Earls of Halifax, (1714–1715)
Earls of Halifax, Second Creation (1715-1771)
- Charles Montagu, (1661–1715) 1st Earl of Halifax, Viscount Sunbury, KG, created Baron Halifax in 1700, with remainder, failing heirs male of his own, to his nephew George, son and heir of his brother Edward Montagu, son of George Montagu, younger son of Henry Montagu, 1st Earl of Manchester
- George Montagu, (1685–1739), 1st Earl of Halifax, Viscount Sunbury, 2nd Baron Halifax KB, succeeded his uncle Charles Montagu, 1st Earl of Halifax.
- George Montagu-Dunk, (1716–1771), 2nd Earl of Halifax, 3rd Baron Halifax KG.
Earls of Sandwich (1660)
- Edward Montagu, (1625–1672) 1st Earl of Sandwich, Viscount Hinchingbrooke, Baron Montagu of St Neots KG. Son of Sir Sidney Montagu and grandson of Sir Edward Montagu of Boughton.
- Edward Montagu, (1644–1689) 2nd Earl of Sandwich
- Edward Montagu, (1670–1729) 3rd Earl of Sandwich
- John Montagu, (1718–1792) 4th Earl of Sandwich
- John Montagu, (1744–1814) 5th Earl of Sandwich
- George John Montagu, (1773–1818) 6th Earl of Sandwich
- John William Montagu, (1811–1884) 7th Earl of Sandwich
- Edward George Henry Montagu, (1839–1916) 8th Earl of Sandwich
- George Charles Montagu, (1874–1962) 9th Earl of Sandwich
- (Alexander) Victor Edward Paulet Montagu, (1906–1995) 10th Earl of Sandwich (disclaimed 1964)
- John Edward Hollister Montagu, (b. 1943) 11th Earl of Sandwich
Barons Mount Stuart of Wortley (1761)Mary Stuart née Wortley-Montagu, (1718-1794), Countess of Bute and 1st Baroness Mount Stuart. Daughter of Sir Edward Wortley-Montagu (1678-1761) and Lady Mary Pierrepont (1689-1762), the daughter of the 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull and granddaughter of Edward Montagu,1st Earl of Sandwich.
John Crichton-Stuart, (1744–1814) 4th Earl of Bute, 2nd Baron Mount Stuart, (created Marquess of Bute in 1796). All further barons also Marquesses of Bute.
Barons Wharncliffe (1826)
Earls of Wharncliffe (1876)
- James Archibald Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, (1776–1845) 1st Baron Wharncliffe, son of Colonel James Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, second son of John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute and his wife Mary Wortley-Montagu, Baroness Mountstuart in her own right, daughter of Edward Wortley Montagu.
- John Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, (1801–1855) 2nd Baron Wharncliffe
- Edward Montagu Stuart Granville Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, (1827–1899) 1st Earl of Wharncliffe,Viscount Carlton, 3rd Baron Wharncliffe
- Francis John Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, (1856–1926) 2nd Earl of Wharncliffe
- Archibald Ralph Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, (1892–1953) 3rd Earl of Wharncliffe
- Alan James Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, (1935–1987) 4th Earl of Wharncliffe
- Richard Alan Montagu Stuart Wortley, (b.1953) 5th Earl of Wharncliffe